Thursday, February 24, 2011

It Pays to Multi-Task on the Subway!

Hello Everyone!
    For most of my life, I have practiced the art of multi-tasking.  I'm usually pretty busy, and I always like to be doing something.  Even watching TV is usually boring unless I'm doing something else along with it. Well, today my talent of multi-tasking paid off!

      Today was the club fair at Queens College, one of the campuses I work at, which is about a 45 min. subway ride on the 7 train followed by a 30 min. bus ride.  So, I figured I would make the most of my "spare" time by cutting out about 100 surveys that we were going to do at the club fair.  Now, as I've told this story to people, they have already told me that using scissors on a moving train is a little dangerous.  But, don't worry, I was very careful.  :)

       As I was cutting, a man (Luis Felipe), who was sitting across the train from me, asked what all of the fliers were for.  Now, in case you don't know typical NYC subway "etiquette" talking on the subway to random strangers is not a common occurrence.  You would think it would be a great idea, and a great place to engage in conversation.  However, most people do not want to talk to you.  They want to have a moment of "silence" before stepping out into the busy city again.   So, needless to say, I was a little surprised that he was talking to me about my fliers, especially since I had my headphones on at the time!  But, I'm so glad that he did.

    I explained to Luis Felipe that I was heading to a club fair at Queens College, and that I worked with a Christian Club on the campus.   Luis Felipe began to open up to me about his background and his interest and belief in God.   He told me that he believes in God, and has seen Him work many miracles in his life, including healing him from cancer, allowing him to enter into the country without a passport when he first moved here (many years ago) , and providing him with a job!  He said that he is always interested in learning more about God, and always takes the little fliers they hand out on the trains to read.  As I was talking with him, I began to wonder if he had ever heard the gospel.  Although he seemed to be talking a lot about God, he never mentioned Jesus.  So, I thought I'd ask more questions.   I proceeded to ask him if he thought we could have a personal relationship with God, and he said yes.  He explained that He definitely thinks we can, and he mentioned something about salvation (I don't remember the exact context).  I then asked how he thought we receive salvation, and he said he didn't know but that was a very good question.  Unfortunately, around this time, our train turned express, and we were beginning to approach our stop (which this is probably one of the only times in my life that I will every be upset about a train turning express and saving me about 15 of subway riding).  However, I was able to leave Luis Felipe with a little booklet called "Knowing God Personally,"  which explains the gospel in four points.  We were also able to exchange email addresses.

     Please pray with me that Luis Felipe will take time to read through the booklet and will understand that we have been given salvation as a gift, through Jesus' death for our sins on the cross.  Pray that this truth will sink deep into his heart.  Pray that he would email me if he does have further questions, and that I would have to opportunity to meet with him later.  

    It was just so neat to see how God placed him in my path today.  He seemed so open and seemed to be so eager to grow in his knowledge, understanding and relationship with God.  It's so exciting to see God uses each of us in making His name and story known- even as we cutting papers and listening to music on the subway train!

Love, Katie
      

3 comments:

  1. Oh Katie- that's terrific! Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, not sure if you remember me or not (children's pastor at Calvary when you were really little) but I just had to write and say how thrilled I am that you are in NYC working for Jesus! I'll be following your ports regulary. Keep up the good work, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs. Fischer!
    I do remember you! I loved Children's church at Calvary. :) So sorry I'm so delayed at getting back! I'm still new at blogging and obviously, I need to work on my frequency, haha. But, thank you so much for your post! If you would like, I send out a monthly update as well about what's going on in ministry. I'd love to send you one if you would like! If you want, just send me your mailing address or email address to katie.briggs@uscm.org. Thanks again! So great to hear from you! :)

    ReplyDelete